Just like humans, pets like dogs and cats suffer from various types of disorders that affect their health. However, research has shown that CBD can be used to treat a wide range of conditions in pets. CBD works in pets the same way it does in humans: through the endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system is a fundamental part of the body, like the digestive system or nervous system, that is activated when cannabinoids like CBD are ingested. All mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish have endocannabinoid systems, and scientists believe that its primary function is to regulate stress responses.
What is CBD?
Also known as cannabinoids, CBD is a product of hemp plant used for medical purposes. CBD is effective due to the presence of the endocannabinoid system in human and animals. The system helps to regulate sleep, immune functions, digestion, memory, and many others. When you administer CBD on your pet, it influences their body directly due to the naturally occurring cannabinoids present in the endocannabinoid system.
What are the benefits of CBD for pets?
Some of the common benefits of CBD for pets include:
- CBD reduces pain inflammation: CBD has painkilling properties which interact with the pet’s vanilloid receptor to aid relief from pain.
- CBD reduces anxiety: Pets are susceptible to anxiety, which is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Giving your pet CBD can help normalize the chemical imbalance and bring the situation under control.
- CBD stimulates appetite: One of the popular symptoms of diseases is the loss of appetite. However, CBD can help restore your pet’s appetite and get him eating.
- CBD accelerates recovery: Pets spend most of their time running, playing and sniffing, and may get injured from moving around. CBD can quicken your pet’s recovery by enhancing blood flow.
Will CBD get your pet high?
Most pet owners are skeptical about administering CBD on their pets. However, the fact remains that CBD won’t get your pet high. CBD offers medicinal properties; it is different from other cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. CBD does not have the psychoactive properties of THC. Therefore your dog won’t get high, even when that consume overdose of CBD.
Is CBD legal?
Yes, CBD is legal in all the 50 states of the United States and can be used by both humans and animals alike. It is entirely safe for consumption and has been proven by science to be an effective treatment against a range of diseases.
How to give CBD to your pets
CBD can be given to your pets in the following ways
- Mix with a treat: Pets love treat, administering CBD on your pets through treat is a great way to ensure they ingest the CBD product. However, it is vital to choose a CBD product with the right flavor for your pets and mix into their treats. Pet treat could be biscuits, chicken, and other healthy treats.
- Use a dropper: At times, it may be better to apply the treat directly on your pet by using a spoon or dropper. Though this may be a difficult method, it is effective at getting your CBD into your pet’s system.
- Add CBD to their food: Another effective way of administering CBD on your pet is by adding it to their food. This method will ensure they ingest the product. Note that most dry foods mask the taste of the CBD product.
CBD Dosage Basics for pets
The exact amount of CBD needed to make a dose vary from product to products. However, to ensure your dog doesn’t consume overdose, follow these dosage guide:
- CBD Oil: The general dose for CBD oil is 2 -4 drops to be taken 2-4 times daily. However, you can adjust the dosage to suit the size of your pet.
- CBD capsule: CBD capsules contain 5 to 20mg of CBD. Although, the exact number of capsules needed for your pet varies from product to product. However, the right dosage is one tablet to be taken 1-2 times daily.
- CBD dog treats: CBD dog treat varies in concentration and should be administered based on the manufacturer guideline.
Finally, CBD is of great benefits to the overall health of your pets. It has no side effect, doesn’t make your dog high, and your Pets can’t get addicted. However, when administering CBD on your pet, it is vital to follow the guideline from your vet doctor and ensure that you choose a product that your pet will love.